Sunday, February 3, 2013

First Blog Entry

Hello all who are viewing this right now! First, I will start off by saying that this is my first time I have written a blog. I must say it was somewhat intimidating due to the fact that I am putting myself out there for other reader's entertainment. I do have a Facebook and Twitter account, and when I update a status or post a tweet I am somewhat putting myself out there. However, that does not measure up to writing a blog.

My Family and I
As you all see by the picture above I am a very busy person. Besides the fact of having an active and mischievous two and four-year-old, I am employed full time at an university, and I am pursuing a M.A. in Communication and Training. Yes, it may seem as if I am rambling a bit about my life, but that goes into the topic of my current understanding of online learning. Since I am always "on-the-go", I am no stranger to taking online classes. Online learning is very convenient to those who have a lot going on in their life so I am taking full advantage of this. On the other hand, online teaching is new to me because I never taught an individual in my 24 years of life (yeah I'm young so what!), but in the future I do plan on teaching online.

Moreover, I originally planned on completing the coursework for the ONTL certificate towards the end of my master's degree, but I changed my mind. During SP'13 registration I registered for two on campus classes (two 7:30 p.m. classes on Monday and Thursday).  Towards the end of December I decided to drop one of my other classes, and add Intro to Online Teaching. To be honest, I thought this course was going to be a breeze, but looking at the syllabus I see I was so wrong.

Since I am new to online teaching and teaching in general I have high expectations for this course. I enjoy working in higher learning, but I am always told that I should pursue teaching as well. Therefore, I want this course to help me decide if this is really something that I would like to pursue right now. Also, I want this course to introduce me to a lot of the technology that I do not know about. I do have a good understanding of computers, but there is a lot more that I can learn. 

To conclude, I feel that the information gained from this course won't only help me in deciding if I want to move forward in this pursuit to an ONTL certificate. Nonetheless, it will will help me in nearly every aspect of my life because technology is always evolving.


No comments:

Post a Comment